Mirror Talk

I always say it to my students and players, "Look yourself in the mirror...if you can honestly say you're doing everything you can do to be better, than you are fine". Honestly, it's a pretty corny saying, but as I age like fine wine, I catch myself saying more catch phrases and "dad-jokes" consistently. On a serious note, when was the last time you looked in the mirror and asked yourself a similar question?

Too often today, we find excuses or blame others for our failures. I am not perfect, I catch myself doing it as well, but I always keep myself checked when those thoughts come into my head. Failures are completely normal and its how we react to these failures that make us great. For example, this past week I have been more stressed and consumed with anxiety than I have ever been in my 23 years of life. I am currently teaching my first full year as a science teacher, teaching three completely different levels of science, all while taking full-time credits in graduate school at Molloy College. Yeah, I also forgot to mention I coach baseball on the weekends and do private lessons during my "off" nights during the week. Now, you could see how I could start to create excuses on how my "plate is full" or how no young man should be consistently put though this work.

How bad do you want it? I ask myself that almost every day and say it a lot. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. Want to know the real reason why, during my hectic weekly schedule, I fell so behind? I fell behind because I chose to go out on Saturday night with my friends and eat food all day on "Football Sunday." Now I am not saying that these events are unhealthy or not normal, I believe they are activities that will keep a person happy. Its a realization though, that I came to after looking myself in the mirror and asking, "Why do you feel overwhelmed this week?".

Again, do I expect every average 23 year old man to want my life or schedule? Of course not. Even if you do, making decisions that "put us off course" is going to happen occasionally. What I am trying to say is, before you put blame on others for your struggles or failures, look yourself in the mirror. A lot of the time the answer won't be easy to swallow, but it will put you in the right direction to become more successful.

Important Vocabulary:

Catch Phrases- a short phrase or expression that has gained usage beyond its initial meaning.

Anxiety- a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease.

Hectic-  frantic activity.

Overwhelmed- bury or drown beneath a huge mass.

"Put us off course"- Not on our usually schedule.

Occasionally- at infrequent or irregular times.

Activity
Grammar Point: Catch Phrases

Identify two catch phrases in the writing above:

Definition: Catch Phrases- a short phrase or expression that has gained usage beyond its initial meaning.

1. _________________________________________________________________________________

2. _________________________________________________________________________________

Can you write a catch phrases you have heard outside of this text?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

  1. A very fine entry, Ron! You are doing so much that it is hard to believe you can cope. I like your vocabulary choices. You could simplify one or two of the definitions for ESL students: hectic and frantic are equally difficult terms. Perhaps you could use a definition like "too many activities" or "non-stop activities." And how else could you define overwhelm?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"You were born to be a great writer!"

If you win the morning, you win the day