Classroom Control

As I finish up second semester of teaching ever, I feel its time to self reflect about the things that have gone better then expected, things that have gone worse than expected, and things I never thought Id have to worry about.

To start, a few things I was thinking was going to be challenging as a first year teacher has seemed to be easier than realized. I thought the actual "teaching" was going to be hard for me. Planning every day, being in front of children I don't know. Surprisingly, I have discovered that teaching is the "easy" part of this job. I say easy with a grain of salt because its not easy everyday. But, its the thing I love to do! And it comes easier than some of the other things that have puzzled me.

One thing that is harder than I thought it would be is the time management. Time management to lesson plan, grade papers, go to professional development courses, and go to my graduate classes at night. I knew it was going to be tough, but nothing like this! Learning to balance all the moving parts of my life and squeezing them into a 24 hour window is the hardest part.

Now, one thing that humbled me was classroom management. It must be that I was lucky with my early placements because I gained a lot of confidence in my classroom management skills that was quickly challenged this year. My children are not bad at all, but it is something I didn't expect to be so difficult. I really need to plan and put a lot of my time and effort into managing certain classes I teach. My reasoning is that I never had to teach this young of children, so my classroom management skills were based off slightly more mature students.

As this year goes on, I'm sure I will find new things that will challenge me that I never previously thought of, but that is the great thing about becoming an educator!

Important Vocabulary:


Semester- Half of a school year

Grain of Salt- Don't take too seriously

Puzzled- When somebody is confused or doesn't understand

Professional Development- Classes or meetings to help people get better at their jobs

Humbled- Lowering someones importance

Mature- Acting in the right manner



Grammar Point: Relative Clauses!

Make one sentence for each relative clause using one of the vocabulary words: Which, Who, That, Where

1._________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2._________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3._________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

4._________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mirror Talk

"You were born to be a great writer!"

An object in Motion Stays in Motion